Friday, January 21, 2011

Giving Back

The other day I was participating in a community message board and someone mentioned being a bone marrow donor. Now this is something I’ve always wanted to do. If there is something in me that could save another's life with little risk to myself, why wouldn't I offer it up?
At that moment I decided to read up on joining the registry to become a donor here.

After reading all about it, I went home to talk to Husband about my desire to join the registry. If I did get selected as a donor, I’d need support and I wanted to make sure he was on board.

He was pretty skeptical.

I was pretty passionate.

With his support, I signed up.

About a week later a kit came in the mail for me to swab my cheek and mail my DNA submission to the larger database.

From what I read, there is a slim likelihood that I will be contacted. The majority of the donors are Caucasian, while the need is stronger for those with a more diverse genetic code.

The reason I’m telling you all this is 1) in case you ever want to clone me, you can get my DNA from these people 2) so you can encourage others to consider joining the registry 3) because I don’t have anything else to write about and would normally keep this to myself…

Speaking of giving back, I believe I told you about my involvement with Women For Women International here. I’m proud to announce that Ms. Change Laraba has graduated! My new sister that I am sponsoring is in Kosovo. She started her training in December and will graduate in November of 2011. I strongly believe in this organization and believe in what they are doing. Please check it out if you haven't already.

Also, see the link below for the book that speaks to what the organization is trying to do.

2 comments:

Mandy Terrett said...

Bone marrow is delicious! Maybe they are just going to eat yours. Put you under and put a crazy straw into your femur. If you do it, they will realize just how delicious Terrett girls are.

The Good Cook said...

Marci,
Giving back is what life is all about! Kudos to you for all of your efforts.

Linda