Monday, February 22, 2010

Book Review: The Gastronomy of Marriage: A Memoir of Food and Love.


My new job has me traveling more often. While the trips can be exhausting, one of the benefits I’ve found is the time to read.

With so many meetings, schedules to keep, and general running around – I’ve come to look forward to that quiet time on the plane, when I can bend back the spine of a book, forgetting all the stresses my day of travel has already created.
My most recent read was a Christmas gift from Husband. He saw a review somewhere and thought I might enjoy it. He was right.

The book per Amazon:
“First-time memoirist Maisto turns out a subtle valentine to cooking and New York City life in this chronicle of two foodies in love. Maisto is a charming writer with a keen wit and sense of setting, whether describing tennis in her beloved Brooklyn neighborhood, or reluctantly making Jell-O for her fiancé.” The review continues but I disagree with the rest.

While it took me a while to get into the rhythm of the book, I thoroughly enjoyed it. As with most memoirs, I am curious how the author’s life has changed since publishing. Did the people she wrote about ever feel misrepresented? Has she had much success with this book? What is she doing now?

There was something that I can’t exactly put my finger on that I related to within the book. Her story is not similar to mine. Maybe it is the similar life stage, the goal to make the best of a new marriage and a small kitchen.
Then there was the food. Not over-flowery descriptions, but clean and true to the flavors. Her descriptions of beautifully simple Asian flavors and the hearty Italian meals never seemed to compete, each having its place on the palate.

I was also pleasantly surprised to find the author on twitter. Even more delighted that she was so approachable.

I am the first one to pass on books to my friends, except in this case. There are RECIPIES in this book. For that reason, if you are so inspired, you’ll have to buy it my friends.

As for a recommendation, I’m not sure that you will find the same kinship in this
book, but if you’re like me, you’re always looking for new titles to discover.

1 comment:

The Good Cook said...

emmm...thanks for the book review. I do think I am going to pick this one up!