Monday, August 31, 2009

Summer

It seems it is unseasonably cold today, 73 degrees on August 31. It's either that or I am in disbelief that summer flew by so quickly without even a heat wave to complain about.

My tomatoes aren't even all ripe and the temperature is dipping into the 40's at night. Even family fun day was too cold for swimming. Check out the photo husband took of the beautifully undisturbed lake we were too cold to brave.



I seemed to have missed the brutally hot days when all you want is to eat ice cream and take a refreshing dip in the pool. I was too busy sitting in a gray cube, with fake heat blasting my feet, fighting the blasts of icy cold air conditioning. The only times I felt the welcome warmth of the sun on my face were in the moments after work, walking to my car, shedding the layers of clothes that kept me comfortable in the conditioned air. On my drive home, the sun would set and I would promise myself I'd take a day off soon.

So many of my friends love the fall. I hate it. It is a season that stinks of dying summer. The sun begins to say goodnight earlier, the air gets colder, the leaves even fall to the ground in a dramatic despair. I'm hoping to go boating soon, but am afraid the autumn sickness may have already weakened the sun to the point of no return. If it weren't for football season, I might get depressed.

So lets hear it for fantasy football!

No comments: